The Pompey Chimes

The Pompey Chimes. Portsmouth Football Club Fans. Play up Pompey!

Forums

Forum Home > Transfer News > Henderson and Mullins wave goodbye

Pompeyexile
Site Owner

From the Pompey Pages March 15, 2012

Pompey have bid a sorry farewell to two more influential players this week as Hayden Mullins joined Reading on-loan and Stephen Henderson completed his loan-move to West Ham.

Mullins, who has been a key part of Pompey’s midfield since joining in January 2010, completed a loan move to Reading this afternoon, whilst the Royals have the option to make it permanent in the summer.

The experienced midfielder has left a relegation battle with troubled Pompey to join Reading's push for promotion in a loan move for the remainder of the season

The 32-year old joins former Pompey captain, Andy Griffin at the Madejski Stadium, and told Reading’s official website: “It’s unbelievable, Portsmouth are looking for a new owner and are trying to survive – and Reading have got a new owner and are trying to get promotion. It’s complete opposites, but I’m just trying to support the lads and help out when I can.”

It’s sad to see the back of Mullins, who had a reputation at Fratton Park for being ‘Mr Consistent’ and always giving 100%, but Mullins is one of the few remaining players from the clubs Premier League days, and is therefore on higher wages – thought to be around £26k-a-week but took a wage cut from that figure once the club were relegated to the Championship.

Another player who has departed Fratton Park is Pompey’s star performer this season, goalkeeper Stephen Henderson. The Irish goalkeeper has been a stand-out performance since joining from Bristol City in the summer and pushed Jamie Ashdown aside to become Pompey’s number one!

Portsmouth Keeper Stephen Henderson has joined West Ham on loan until the end of the season with a view to be a permanent signing at the end of the seasonStephen Henderson has joined West Ham on loan until the end of the season

Henderson has joined West Ham on-loan, with reports claiming the Blues could receive as much as £500,000 loan fee with the goalkeeper likely to join on a permanent deal in the summer.

--

March 15, 2012 at 8:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pompeyexile
Site Owner

Hayden Mullins is pleased to have the chance to play for hometown club Reading, but admits he is 'gutted' to have left cash-strapped Portsmouth.

The experienced midfielder has left a relegation battle with troubled Pompey to join Reading's push for promotion in a loan move for the remainder of the season

The experienced midfielder has left a relegation battle with troubled Pompey to join Reading's push for promotion in a loan move for the remainder of the season.

The 32-year-old has always wanted to play for the Royals and believes Brian McDermott's side are the team to beat in the race for a place in the Premier League.

"It's been a long time coming really, I wanted to play for the club being local and it nearly happened last year, but didn't really come about," he told Reading's official website.

"It's a result I've always looked for and I'm happy to see how well Reading have been doing, I'm glad to be here.

"I'll try and back the boys up and if I need to fill in anywhere I will. I know the run that the club have been on, everyone knows that in the division, and Reading are the team to stop at the moment."

"It's tough times at the club at the moment and obviously they have to save on the wage bill. It's a sad day for me to have to go to another club to help Pompey keep going."

Hayden Mullins Quotes of the week

Tough timesPortsmouth's financial problems have prompted Mullins' departure from Fratton Park and he has wished the club all the best for the future.

He added to The News: "It's tough times at the club at the moment and obviously they have to save on the wage bill.

"It's a sad day for me to have to go to another club to help Pompey keep going. All my best wishes go to all the players.

"It's been a great time to be at Pompey for the period I've been here. The road has had a few ups and downs. That's putting it mildly! But the fans have been brilliant, and brilliant to me.

"Hopefully the administrator can sort the future of the club and secure things. I'm sure he can get things up and running and help get the club on an even keel again.

"I'm gutted to say goodbye really. I've got a lot of friends here."

--

March 15, 2012 at 9:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pompeyexile
Site Owner

It has been stated by the News (March 19, 2012) that Henderson being loaned to West Ham last week was for a fee of around £700,000, not the £500,000 originally quoted.

--

March 19, 2012 at 7:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.